Lightning is terrifying, can be deadly, and can cause very serious property damage. To make matters worse, the claims recovery process can be complicated at best. If your home or commercial property has been damaged by lightning, don’t delay consulting with an experienced Quincy, FL lightning damage claims lawyer.
The Destructive Power of Lightning
Lightning has a way of making its immense power known. After all, a lightning bolt can make the ground shake. Lightning’s ability to cause property damage should never be discounted and can include:
- Fire Damage – The heat generated by lightning can cause any wood or other flammable materials to burst into flames upon contact. In other words, lightning can burn entire buildings and/or great portions of such structures.
- Electrical Damage – When a lightning bolt’s massive current passes through wiring, the explosive power surge that results can obliterate any appliances, electronics, and other machinery connected to that wiring.
- Shock Wave Damage – The shock waves that emanate from lightning can be especially damaging and have the capacity to fracture concrete structures and those made of brick and stone, such as chimneys.
The damage wrought by lightning is considerable.
What About My Homeowners Coverage?
While every incident of damage caused by lightning is unique with its own circumstances involved, and homeowners insurance policies vary considerably, your policy should cover your damages. It’s important to recognize, however, that insurance companies are in business to turn massive profits, and this means they’re very likely motivated to minimize their payment to you in any way possible. Some of the techniques employed toward this end include:
- Denying the claim outright by denying that your particular damage is covered or that your damage was directly caused by lightning
- Sending out their own adjuster to assess your damage and provide you with a lowball estimation
- Stalling or delaying the claim’s process in an effort to wear you down and accept a settlement for less than the amount to which you are entitled
You purchase homeowners insurance and stay current with your premiums in good faith – in order to protect your investment – and when the insurance company fails to live up to its end of the bargain, it can be very discouraging. Having an experienced lightning damage claims lawyer on your side, however, can make all the difference.
What Kind of Damage Is Covered?
If your home has been damaged by lightning, all of the following categories of damage should be covered by your insurance policy:
- Physical damage to your home and any other structures on your property, such as garages and/or sheds
- Any personal property that you lost within any of the damaged structures, such as appliances, electronics, home furnishings and fixtures, and anything else of value
- Your living expenses while you are required to shelter elsewhere during the repair or rebuild process
Understanding Your Policy
The first step in the process toward recovering on your lightning claim is locating and understanding your homeowners insurance policy. While this document isn’t likely to make for entertaining reading, it does contain important legal information related to your lightning damage. Your dedicated lightning damage claims lawyer will help you better understand your coverage and will help effectively and efficiently guide you through the process of collecting on the damages you’ve suffered.
Beware of Hidden Damage
Finally, before signing off on any settlement offer, it’s important to be aware of the fact that lightning can cause hidden damage that should not be overlooked. Such damage can include damage to your underground water lines, to the foundation of your home, to your property’s sprinkler system, and more. This damage can go undetected until it’s become both more pronounced and more costly to correct. Obtaining your own independent damage assessment will provide you with a more complete estimate of your property’s total damages.
Having an Experienced Quincy Lightning Damage Claims Lawyer on Your Side Helps
You’ve witnessed lightning’s mighty power, and if your property has been on the receiving end of that power, the dedicated lightning damage claims lawyers at The Law Offices of Jerrod Paul, PA, in Quincy, FL, are committed to using their considerable experience and skill to aggressively advocate for the compensation to which you are entitled. You and your case are important to us, so please don’t hesitate to contact us online or call us for more information today.